Why Study with us?
Equality & Diversity
We are an open and inclusive company and welcome both students and staff from a range of backgrounds, in fact we encourage it! We are committed to the development and promotion of equality and diversity and we review all of policies annually.
Course Structure & Units you will study
This unit develops the learner’s knowledge of anatomy and physiology and how it relates to exercise and fitness.
- Know the structure and function of the circulatory system
- Understand the structure and function of the respiratory system
- Understand anatomical terminology
- Understand the structure and function of the skeleton
- Understand joints in the skeleton
- Understand the muscular system
- Understand the life-course of the musculoskeletal system and its implications for special populations exercise
- Understand the structure and function of the digestive system
- Understand energy systems and their relation to exercise
- Understand the nervous system and its relation to exercise
This unit covers essential Anatomy and Physiology knowledge a Personal Trainer requires for application to exercise programming and design for a range of clients.
- Understand optimal posture, causes of postural deviations and spinal conditions and the impact of exercise
- Understand the structure and function of the musculoskeletal system
- Understand the effects of exercise on the musculoskeletal system and disease processes
- Understand the structure and function of the Cardio-respiratory system
- Know the structure and function of the Nervous system and the effect of exercise on neuromuscular connections
- Know the structure and function of the Endocrine system
- Know the classifications of energy systems and how they are utilised during exercise
This unit develops the knowledge and skills an exercise and fitness instructor needs to present themselves in a professional manner, provide excellent customer service and demonstrate effective communication skills. Above all, to provide a positive customer experience an exercise and fitness instructor needs to ensure the exercise environment meets health and safety requirements.
This unit develops the knowledge an exercise and fitness instructor needs to promote a healthy and active lifestyle. This includes the importance of healthy eating and offering behavior change strategies to support clients to adopt behaviors that will help them to prevent a range of health conditions
This unit covers the knowledge and skills a gym instructor needs to plan and prepare gym-based exercise programmes for a range of clients, within their scope of practice. This includes demonstrating effective communication to engage and fully support clients.
This unit covers the knowledge and skills a gym instructor needs to professionally and safely deliver an effective gym-based exercise session to a range of clients.
- Understand how to deliver gym inductions and gym-based exercise sessions to a range of clients
- Be able to prepare self and equipment for inductions and exercise sessions in the gym environment for individuals and groups
- Be able to introduce individuals and groups to a gym environment
- Be able to instruct gym-based exercise
- Be able to supervise clients undertaking gym-based exercise
- Be able to bring a gym-based exercise session to an end
- Be able to reflect on providing gym-based exercise
This unit aims to provide the fitness professional with sufficient knowledge and understanding of commonly occurring medically controlled diseases and health conditions, to enable them to effectively provide appropriate information advice and support to their clients through effective interaction.
Understand components of a healthy lifestyle and factors that affect health and wellbeing
Understand psychological factors that can influence change to an individual’s lifestyle
Understand a range of health conditions and medically controlled diseases
Know evidence based pre-exercise health screening methods
Understand a range of theories/approaches that can motivate positive behaviour change
Understand how to professionally interact with clients and relevant professionals
Know how to seek evidence-based/reputable health and wellbeing advice
This unit aims to develop knowledge and skills required of a Personal Trainer in order to be able to design a health and fitness programme suitable to a client’s specific goals and level of fitness.
Personal Training showcase (observation, written)
Learner log – on course (observation)
This unit aims to provide the Personal Trainer with the knowledge and skills required to deliver an exercise programme specific to clients’ goals.
By emphasising the importance of effective communication and interpersonal skills, it also aims to provide the personal trainer with the additional “soft skills” which are essential when seeking to develop a successful professional Personal Training practice.
This unit aims to develop knowledge and understanding of key nutritional principles and healthy eating to support client goals. It also provides the learner with skills to analyse client nutritional intake in order to offer advice within scope of practice and integrate into fitness programme design.
This unit aims to provide the knowledge and understanding a Personal Trainer requires to establish a business in either an employed or self-employed position.
Additionally, by focusing upon ways of both attracting and retaining clients it also provides them with a firm foundation for successful growth.
The level 2 and Level 3 combined Personal training course allows you to progress onto a elite personal training courses such as the level 4 certificate in weight management for individuals with obesity, diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome, certificate in exercise referral, Level 4 Certificate in Programming Physical Activity for Individuals with Low Back Pain.
We offer a range of continual professional development (CPD) courses to ensure that you remain ahead of the curve and stay highly employable
Our courses are well renowned and highly respected by within the sport and active leisure industry. Your courses is REPs and CIMSPA recognized, enabling you gain both employment insurance in the industry.
Course Structure, Assessment & delivery
Practical Assessments: All practical sessions and assessments take place in one of our dedicated and COVID safe teaching venues.
What if I live far away? We are able to assess you in the gym that you currently use.
Online & Blended Learning The combined level 2 & 3 PT course has a combination of in person practical sessions and online sessions. You can also choose the online only option. You will be able to work at your own pace. However, a mentor will support your throughout your course.
Duration: 11 weeks * (course duration for online learners varies)
Promo Codes: If you have received a promo code, you will be able to enter the code once you purchase the course via the store. If you wish to pay the course fee via instalments, please contact us using the ‘contact us’ button at the bottom of the page. We will then set up an interest free instalment program with you and apply the promo code. 👍
What qualification will I Receive? ........
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a YMCA awards:
- YMCA Level 3 Diploma in Gym Instructing and Personal Training (Practitioner)
Your course is delivered and assessed by SFE Academy
Upon successful completion of your course, you will receive the coveted Diploma in Personal Training.
This means that employers may see you as more employable due to your improved skill set and knowledge!